Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chicken Etouffe

Wow.  I am delinquent when it comes to posting on the foods I make.... I will get better, I will get better!  I made chicken etouffe last Thursday (yes, an entire week ago!) for friends that were coming over.  This is one meal that I never would have made before starting the "Joy journey," and one that has made me pleased that I am turning over a new leaf.  I have never made anything like this (unless you count red beans and rice, which I don't), and I really surprised myself.  The recipe called for all kinds of spices that I rarely use (and didn't think would go together) like paprika, thyme, bay leaves, etc., and the end result was a great flavor the likes of which have never come from my kitchen - and surprise!  I thought it was great!  For someone who dislikes trying new things, this is a breakthrough!  My husband and our friends gave great reviews as well, which was pleasing in itself.  I did break a few recipe rules, however, but I don't think that they had much affect on the overall taste of the dish.  The chicken was supposed to be sauteed in pieces, and I am so over frying meat in my kitchen right now that I just couldn't do it again, so I put the spice rub on the chicken and let it cook in the crock pot before shredding it and putting it with the sauce.  The recipe also said to add sliced Italian sausage or Andouille sausage, and I forgot to get sausage when I went to the store, so I had to omit that part.  Next time I will try it with the sausage, and I am sure that it will be even better!  If you like Cajun food, this is a must-try.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment