Sunday, May 9, 2010

Peppery Dry Rubbed Steak

I haven't been posting much, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been cooking!  I have quite a few pitures that I need to blog about, and steak is the first.  I really haven't made many steaks in my time, so every time I make them for this project, I learn more.  These had a dry rub that had both black and white peppercorns, coriander, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, and salt.  After the rub was made, I coated the steaks and let them sit for about an hour before cooking.  The initial idea was to saute them on the stovetop in olive oil (in the book it doesn't tell you how to cook it, so that's how I started), but when the steaks started cooking, the pepper in the rub was so aromatic that my eyes were watering and I felt like I was choking.  I ended up putting the steaks into a new pan (and putting the old pan out the back door!), and cooking them the rest of the way in the oven, which worked well.  My husband loved the flavor, and said that it was his favorite steak yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment