Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pizza with Fresh Tomatoes, Basil, and Feta Cheese

So again, last night was my first attempt at pizza dough.  I made a regular cheese pizza (see previous post), but also made this pizza with tomatoes and feta.  Really, the only toppings are tomatos, feta, and basil.  The dough is brushed with olive oil, so that it won't get soggy from the toppings, and that's it.  I was pretty excited about this pizza until I tasted it... so sad - I wasn't in love.  No worries, though, I will try it again, and see if we can perfect the imperfection.  Because this was my first attempt at the dough, I didn't know how much olive oil to put on it before layering the toppings.  It was kind of hard to "brush" it on, too, without it getting too thick, which I think in this time it may have.  The crust wasn't soggy, per se, but not quite right, either.  We all still ate it, though, and thought it was decent.  Actually, we took the pizzas to my husband's sister's house, and they all said it was good, but they could have been humoring me, too.  Next time I would put more toppings on the pizza.  At first, I was overlapping the tomato slices, but then I thought that might be overkill, so I spread them out next to one another.  This didn't prove to be a brilliant move.  The dough expands a bit in the oven, and the tomatoes actually shrink some in the heat, and this left a lot of the dough exposed.  I think it would have tasted better with enough tomatoes that they would cover the entire surface of the pizza even after cooking.  More feta wouldn't have hurt either.  All in all, it was an edible pizza, but I am definitely going to try it again to see if we can get a pizza that we love.

White Pizza with Fresh Tomatoes, Basil, and Feta Cheese p. 191
The Joy of Cooking, 75th edition

2 comments:

  1. I made my first pizza the other night, and I think it went over pretty well. My dough came from a tube :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've not made our own dough but have had the same issue with the oil. I've heard it may help to bake the crust without toppings for a few minutes and then add toppings (and oil) for the remaining cook time...but we still need to try this.

    ReplyDelete