Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hummus

Hummus!  I am so glad that I now know how to make this, because I love hummus!  One little tub at the store can be three or four dollars - yikes - and making it at home is easy and very cheap!  I used dried chickpeas, and once cooked, it is blended with tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and a little olive oil.  I didn't have fresh lemons, so I used bottled lemon juice, and I wouldn't recommend that in the future, as it left an aftertaste.  I actually cooked and pureed more chickpeas to add to the first batch because I didn't like the artificial lemon flavor.  Other than that, it was great!  I added a little cayenne pepper for a little pop of flavor, and it was great!  This is a must-try if you like hummus, but hate the high price you pay at the grocery.

Hummus, p. 74
The Joy of Cooking, 75th edition

No comments:

Post a Comment