Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I first started making these cookies, my thought was that the recipe from "Joy" was the same as the one on the back of the bag.  Essentially it is, only this recipe uses about 1/2 cup more sugar/brown sugar, and more vanilla - yum.  I felt like I was America's Test Kitchen, as the entire baking process was somewhat of an experiment.  The recipe said to either line the baking pan, or to grease it, neither of which I have ever done when baking cookies.  I do have a silicone pan liner, so I tried that first (on my air baking sheet).  The cookies turned out great, although I felt like they had a plastic-y aftertaste, like the liner affected the taste (anyone ever had this happen?).  The next time, I tried it on the same kind of baking sheet, only spraying it first.  The cookies were fine, but the edges kind of  "leaked" out, and were very crispy because of the oil on the pan - not bad, and better than a plastic taste, but still not what I was looking for.  The next time, I went back to the first pan and didn't spray it or line it - I never have done it before, right?  The cookies were still good, but they did stick to the pan (maybe all that sugar?).  I tried the silicone liner again on a different pan, although I'm not sure why, as it made the cookies taste funny, and the other pan made the bottoms too dark. I always have much more success with the baking sheets that have the air in the midde.  Anyway, after it was all said and done, the best cookies came from the sprayed "air-bake" sheets.  They tasted really good, but I still would go with the recipe on the back of the bag before using this one.  Still searching for the best possible chocolate chip cookie recipe...

3 comments:

  1. Hey Laurie. Maybe try using parchment or wax paper in stead of the liner. I wonder why that gives it a plastic taste?

    I have a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe, which I got from America's Test Kitchen. Check it out here:

    http://recipes-by-sarah.blogspot.com/

    under the label "cookies"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laurie! Your cookies look YUMMY!! I have a wonderful chocolate chip cookie recipe also, I'll write it down for you when you come over next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah! I thought I had recently bought parchment paper, but I guess I was mistaken - I would have liked to try that. I also didn't know you could use wax paper for cookies... I would eventually like to try both of your recipes, girls!

    ReplyDelete